Sunday, November 2, 2008

Peaceful Land

Just something short here.

For most of my life I saw Ausitralia, New Zealand and basically most of the Southern Hemisphere as a remarkably peaceful place having no wars of their own and little participation in them. Gallipoli the firrst thing to make me think otherwise. Additionally if any of you have been on wikipedia today you may have also seen the article of the day which shocked me by informing me that Sydney and Newcastle were both bombed by the Japanese in World War II. I never knew that Australia suffered more domestic damage from the war than the United States - seeing as Hawaii was not yet a state at the time of Pearl Harbour.

2 comments:

Que Sera, Ciarrai said...

Wow. I had no idea myself. That's really interesting/sad (of course). Thanks for sharing.

Pierce said...

Yeah. This has recently come to my attention as well. But not from wikipedia or any sort of academic source - psuedo or legitimate. My knowledge of these events was brought to me by the synopsis of another piece of Australian cinema.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455824/

Baz Lurhman's new film, Australia, uses these events as the backdrop for a romance epic.

This might be an interesting film for us to go see as a class.

It opens November 26.