Thursday, December 11, 2008

Let Us Go Then You and I...




Before the semester ends and we go off for the holidays, I wanted to put up one more post. It's pretty much just a recommendation for a movie you might enjoy
: Till Human Voices Wake Us.
It's a drama, but I would also consider it a bit of a romantic mystery.
In this film, Sam and Dr. Sam Franks (Guy Pierce) is a stable, emotionally guarded man who returns Victoria, Australia. This is where he grew up, found his first love, and lost her through a tragic accident.
Stay with me -- this is not your typical love story.

When Sam comes back as an adult, he must face these ghosts of the past, quite literally. Enter Ruby, a woman he encounters whom he suspects is more than she claims to be...


I'd hate to put the "..." on you but I don't want to give too much away. If you haven't seen Til Human Voices Wake Us, I'd highly recommend it. It has stunning scenery, characters with depth, and a unique storyline.

If nothing else, read some of "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock," the poem by T.S Elliot on which the title (and some elements of the poem) are based.
It's quite long, but very beautiful. Here is the beginning:
LET us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherised upon a table;
Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
The muttering retreats 5
Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels
And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells:
Streets that follow like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent
To lead you to an overwhelming question … 10
Oh, do not ask, “What is it?”
Let us go and make our visit.


Anyways, have a lovely break everyone!

PS - Tonight I'm bringing pie. It's no Sweetie Pie, but it's got some quality fruit in it.

3 comments:

tigger12 said...

correction: There is a line: Til human voices wake us, and then when drown" that the title of the movie is based on.

tigger12 said...

(that is the last line in the poem)

Peg A said...

Thanks for bringing that pie!

Oh and this film is very good, so I will add my own recommendation!