Friday, December 5, 2008

Over the Rainbow

Growing up with an older sister who adored The Wizard of Oz and a family that eventually became centered around performing in and auditioning for musicals, "Over the Rainbow," while I never hated it, was a song that came to be overdone and performed on way too many occasions, by people who were just not talented enough to do it any justice. Harsh, I know, but true. As a result, it was a song that I came to like less and less.
Then, I was introduced to Israel Kamakawiwoʻole’s version of “Over the Rainbow” through movies like Finding Forrester and You’ve Got Mail, among others. Not to forget this precious Rice Krispies commercial. Thanks to Mr. Kamakawiwo’ole my love for the song was renewed. The first few films I saw the song used in used it quite well and I was always pleased to hear it. Happy to hear the version of a great song that made me love it as though it was new. That is, until his version too became overplayed and didn’t quite pack the same punch as it had the first time I had heard the song.
And yet again, my love for “Over the Rainbow” has been reborn. Thank you Mr. Luhrmann for showing me the song in a new light. Hearing the song played on the harmonica, especially toward the end when Nullah was playing it on the front of the boat as he, The Drover, and the other mission children returned from the island, nearly gave me chills. It was haunting, beautiful, and romantic. It was wistful, but hopeful and, for me, enhanced the moments of the film when it was heard in ways I cannot eloquently describe.

Despite my best efforts I couldn’t find any online version of the harmonica rendition of “Over The Rainbow,” but a small bit of information about the soundtrack can be found here.

Check out some interesting facts about the song here.

No comments: